A. Man Lost His Right-Standing
1. Adam lost his standing with God when he sinned.
2. Abraham's faith was accounted unto him as righteousness.
a. Romans 4:17-19.
17 (As it is written, I have made thee a father of many nations,) before him whom he believed, even God, who quickeneth the dead, and calleth those things which be not as though they were.
18 Who against hope believed in hope, that he might become the father of many nations, according to that which was spoken, So shall thy seed be.
19 And being not weak in faith, he considered not his own body now dead, when he was about an hundred years old, neither yet the deadness of Sarah's womb:
3. Jesus paid for Adam's transgression and man's righteousness was restored.
B. You Have Been Made The Righteousness Of God
1. II Corinthians 5: 17-21 -- "Therefore If any man be In Christ, he Is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new (v.17). For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God In him" (v.21).
2. Righteousness: the ability to stand in the presence of God without the sense of sin, guilt, or inferiority.
a. Romans 5: 1
"Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:"
3. Don't confuse righteousness with holiness.
C. Jesus' Righteousness Has Been Imparted to You
1. I Corinthians 1 :30 -- "But of him are ye In Christ Jesus, who of God Is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption."
2. God provided this righteousness upon legal grounds.
a. Romans 4:25 (literal) -- "Who was delivered up for our trespasses , and was raised when we were declared righteous."
D. Righteousness is a Free Gift
1. Romans 5:17-19 -- "For If by one man's offence death reigned by one ••• even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life. For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shalI many be made righteous."
2. If God could not make man righteous and as free from a sin conscience and condemnation as he was before sin entered the world, then Satan's work In Adam was more effectual than God's work In Jesus.
E. Declare His Righteousness
1. Romans 3:21-26 – 21 But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets;
22 Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:
23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:
25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;
26 To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.
"Even the righteousness of God which Is by faith of Jesus Christ unto alI and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference (v.22).
Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that Is in Christ Jesus. Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood ••• " (vs.24-25).
2. Romans 10: 10 --"For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness••• "
3. If God ls going to have perfect fellowship with man, then man must be as righteous as God.
4. God ls not holding anything against anyone.
a. II Corinthians 5: 19 -- "To wit, that God was In Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them ••• "
F. Put Away a Sin Consciousness
1. Don't hang on to sin tags such as: "I'm Just an ole' s Inner saved by grace.”
2. Satan has made the Body of Christ think that it is a mark of humility before God to boast of our sinful, weak, unworthy condition.
3. You are God's workmanship created unto good works.
a. Ephesians 2:10 -- "For we are his workmanship, created In Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we shouId walk in them.”
G. Begin To Develop a Righteousness Consciousness
1. Hebrews 10: 1-2 –For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect.
2 For then would they not have ceased to be offered? because that the worshippers once purged should have had no more conscience of sins.
“••• because that the worshippers once purged should have had no more conscience of sins" (v.2).
2. Hebrews 9:11-14 – 11 But Christ being come an high priest of good things to come, by a greater and more perfect tabernacle, not made with hands, that is to say, not of this building;
12 Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.
13 For if the blood of bulls and of goats, and the ashes of an heifer sprinkling the unclean, sanctifieth to the purifying of the flesh:
14 How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?
"How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the Living God?" (v.14).
3. Hebrews 1:3 -- "Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express Image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high."
4. Romans 5:1 (AmpIifled) -- "Therefore, since we are Justifled (declared righteous), and given a right standing with God through faith, let us grasp the fact that we have the peace of reconciliation to hold and to enjoy peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ ••• "
5. Hebrews 4: 16 -- "Let us therefore come boIdIy unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need."
The earthly benefit of righteousness!
6. I Peter 3: 12 -- "For the eyes of the Lord are over the righteous, and his ears are open unto their prayers ••• "
7. James 5: 16 -- " ••• The effectuaI fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much."
8. Ephesians 6: 14 ....- "Stand therefore, having your lo Ins girt about with truth, and having on the Breastplate of righteousness."